News Ticker

Menu

The History of Baked Alaska

Good day everyone… how was your day? I hope you still have more time to enjoy with the things that you like.

Well, today I want to tell you about a cute dessert that for me, has a really good story. That’s Baked Alaska or also known as glace au four, omelette à la norvégienne, Norwegian omelette and omelette surprise. Baked Alaska was a spectacular cake, topped with solidly frozen ice cream, the whole enveloped in meringue, then browned and served still warm from the oven.
The History Of Baked Alaska
Image taken from: foodnetwork

When I read this dessert name I just wondered about what kind of relation between this dessert and Alaska. After I read the history, I’m amazed with the fact that this food is made when United States purchase Alaska from Russia in 1867 by Charles Ranhofer, chef at the famous Delmonico's restaurant in New York. Firstly it was called as Alaska Florida Cake but soon changed to Baked Alaska.

Far before that day, in 1802 according to some historians, Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), third president of the United States from 1801-1809, was one of the first to serve ice cream at a state banquet in the White House. He is reported to have served ice cream encased in hot pastry at a White House dinner during his presidency. Although the name came much later, it is likely that this was a dish similar to Baked Alaska.

After I know about this history, I just really want to try this dessert, not only because this dessert contains my favorite (ice cream) but also I want to try this one because I want to enjoy the feeling of the winer that the United States felt when they grabbed Alaska, or imagining the feeling if I eat that dessert in the White House with president Thomas Jefferson. Ha-ha, just ignore me.

The most important thing that I want to tell you is everything was have their own history, including the food that you eat every day. That’s mean they are life with us, and we always have our own chance to take a lesson from them, every one of them. Just respect everything that we got. Because they are special by their own.

If you have ever enjoyed this dessert, please tell me how amazing is that in the comment below. Have a good day, see you next time…

Share This:

Now, available for your mobile phone. Please Click Here To Get App..

No Comment to " The History of Baked Alaska "

  • To add an Emoticons Show Icons
  • To add code Use [pre]code here[/pre]
  • To add an Image Use [img]IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]
  • To add Youtube video just paste a video link like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x_gnfpL3RM